- Being a grandparent encompasses many different roles. You serve as a support person for your child and grandchildren. We hope that the Informational Resource Guide for Grandparents can help you navigate various topics involving Down syndrome and assist in answering questions you may have. We want you to feel included, important, and prepared! Grandparents often play a pivotal role in their grandchild’s life and we are so excited for you.
- In addition to the Informational Resource Guide, a support group will be offered where you can interact and connect with other grandparents of individuals with Down syndrome.
- For more information on how to get involved or to obtain a physical copy of the informational resource guide please contact Stephanie Garner, DSI Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-925-7617,
Informational Resource Guide for Grandparents
- Grandparents of Down Syndrome Indiana Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/236700995599778
- National GP FB (Grandparents with Grandkids with Down Syndrome): https://www.facebook.com/groups/gwgwds/
- Sign up for the DSI weekly e-newsletter: https://dsindiana.org/get-involved/dsienews/
Recommended books and resources
- Grandparenting Children with Disabilities by Madonna Harrington Meyer & Ynesse Abdul-Malak
- Intergenerational Bonds: The Contribution of Older Adults to Young Children’s Lives by Mary Renck Jalongo & Patricia A. Crawford
Information on the support group
- The pilot support group was a success and every participant stated that the group would be beneficial to grandparents! Details of future support group meetings will be shared via the FB group and the email list! Keep a look out for information. We hope to offer at least four scheduled meetings per year.
- We hope to celebrate with the DSI Grandparent on September 10th, 2023! More information to come closer to time.